Last week the National Seniors Productive Ageing Centre released a report entitled ‘Experience Works: The Mature Age Employment Challenge’.
Mature age employment has been on the policy agenda many times over. Unfortunately, Australia continues to perform poorly compared with other countries. The report gives a candid snapshot of mature age employment in Australia. It outlines the distinctive barriers faced by older workers and draws on overseas approaches that hold lessons for us. It also presents potential policy responses, including:
- Strengthening age discrimination laws
- Creating incentives to encourage mature age workers to increase and update their skills
- Promoting healthy workplaces to reduce employment barriers caused by health problems associated with older age
- Supporting informed transition to retirement
- Reducing disincentives for employment from government income support
We hope the report acts as a catalyst for encouraging government, major employer groups and unions to increase their efforts and develop a better coordinated approach to taking up this challenge.
Access the report here.
Thanks to Lindy for spying this publication!